Monday, October 29, 2007

SELF – ASSESMENT OF ONLINE LISTENING TO PODCASTS

THE TITLES OF TWO PODCASTS (which I have listened):

  1. ‘Walt Disney, 1901 – 1966: It all started with a Mouse’;
  2. ‘Why goals matter needs to’;

THE WEBSITE ADDRESSES:

www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2007-10-27-voa1.cfm

http://www.carolinemiller.com/pod/

First of all, I want to describe LEVEL OF ENGLISH of podcasts, which I have listened. The first one was easier, because it was in intermediate level, but the another one was more difficult, it had an advanced level.

THE RATE OF SPEAKING also was apparently different: speaker talked slow and clearly in topic about Walt Disney, but interview with psychologist in the second topic was fast and unclear.

THE SPEAKERS ACCENT: in first podcast it was correct British accent, however the second topic was based on American accent.

The first podcast I have listened just one time, and it did not take much time to me to understand, this topic takes for the 15 minutes, the second one continues for the 24:36 minutes, and I needed to listen two times for clear understanding.

Fortunately I did not need to read a transcript of the podcasts, I understood all without test helping, any words which I could not understand I just found at the dictionary.

But anyway I assess my ability to understand authentic speech as just good, I need much more work for excellent abilities, these results shows that I am not sure prepared for my exam listening paper, I need more listening practise.

I think that it is a good idea to watch many English films and tv, I try to do that, and I feel how it helps to me to improve, also there is an important point for perfection – travelling and working abroad. It is the main goal for my future – to go abroad and to prove my English skills in summer.

No comments: